Beilngries / Germany
The city lies in the Altmuehl region. The rivers Altmuehl, Sulz and the Main-Danube canal flow through the city. In 1007 Beilngries was first mentioned as "Bilingriez" for the first time in a document. The place belonging to the Diocese of Eichstatt got trade and customs rights on behalf of the bishop and later Pope Victor II in 1053. Around 1300 the Church of St. Walburga was completed and the city was in the late Middle Ages a fortress in the form of wall and ditch that prevented the destruction of the city in the Peasants' War. In 1633 the city surrendered without a fight to the troops of Bernhard of Weimar. In 1802 the last Eichstätt Prince Bishop abdicated and Beilngries was occupied by Bavarian troops. The Ludwig Canal opened in 1846 and served Beilngries mainly for timber and cattle trade.