Bernkastel-Kues / Germany
Bernkastel-Kues is a well-known wine and tourist town on the middle Moselle and birthplace of the most famous German philosopher of the Middle Ages, Nicholas of Cusa.
The first settlements date from the time of the linear pottery culture about 3000 BC. The places of Bernkastel on the right and Kues on the left bank of the Moselle were incorporated into the town of Bernkastel-Kues in 1905. Later, the formerly independent municipalities Andel and Wehlen were added. The number of inhabitants is today around7,000.
Sightseeing attraction for tourists is in Bernkastel the medieval market square with its 400-year-old half-timbered houses, among which especially stand out the extremely narrow "pointed house" dating from the years 1416 ". Around the St. Michael fountain from 1606 are grouped a number of well-preserved half-timbered houses and the renaissance town hall from the 1608.