Cuxhaven / Germany
Cuxhafen lies at the mouth of the Elbe in Lower Saxony and has about 53,000 residents. Cuxhafen is an important fishing port and ship reporting station for Hamburg and the Kiel Canal. The city is relatively young compared to other cities in Germany. Cuxhafen was granted city rights only on March 15, 1907. The settlement history of the city is of course much older. That prove numerous urn remains and a megalithic grave which, in the opinion of archaeologists dates back to 4000 BC.
For more than 600 years Cuxhaven belonged to the Hanseatic city of Hamburg. Only in 1937, the city district of Hamburg was expanded through the so-called "Greater Hamburg Act" by the then Prussian towns Harburg and Altona and in exchange for it Cuxhafen passed to Prussia. Besides the sea fish market, the port and tourist establishments also several major industrial enterprises have settled in Cuxhaven. Very important for the further economic development of the city of Cuxhaven and its environs is the new harbor, which became operative in autumn 1997. Tip: at one of the most beautiful pubs in the old town drink a "cold beer" and eat delicious fish.
Interesting: Fort Kugelbake (the landmark of the city), Museum of Watt Fishing, Curiosities Shell Museum, Natureum Niederelbe, Museum Lighthouse "Dicke Berta", Castle Ritzebuettel and Burg Bederkesa.