Eltville / Germany
Eltville am Rhein, with its 17,000 inhabitants is a town in the Rheingau-Taunus-Kreis. Largest city in the Rheingau, it bears the nickname of wine, champagne, roses and, since 2006, Gutenberg city. First signs of settlement are already demonstrated in the Neolithic period. Continuous settlement exists since the 4th century. The first mention of Eltville, dates back to the year 1058 in the Vita Bardonis, the biography of Archbishop Bardo of Mainz.. In 1332, Emperor Louis the Bavarian conveyed Eltville city rights. From 1347 to 1480 Eltville is the residence of the archbishops of Mainz. Eltville is accessible to touriststoday and famous for the production of wine and champagne and one of 10 "rose towns " of Germany.
Eltville has a number of beautiful half-timbered houses from the 16th and 18th centuries. Even remains of the old town fortification can still be seen. Visit also the Electoral castle from the 14th century. In no case should you miss a tour of the Cistercian monastery Eberbach. A large part of the interior shots of the film "The Name of the Rose' was shot here in winter 1985/86. A special feature is also the Eltviller Vinotheque which as union of the leading wineries offer consumers a product comparison. It is the only local vinotheque in the Rheingau and one of the few throughout Germany.