Erlangen / Germany
Erlangen is located on the edge of the Central Franconian basin parallel to the river Regnitz and to the Main-Danube Canal. North of downtown opens the Schwabach coming from the right into the Regnitz. Erlangen is an independent university and medical (technology-) town in the federal state of Bavaria.
An element reaching far back in history but still noticeable is the settlement of Huguenots after the withdrawal of the Edict of Nantes in 1685.
Erlangen is first mentioned in documents in the 1002. In 1361 the village was sold to Emperor Charles IV.. Three years later, a city is laid oud near the village, which gets its own mint in 1374. In 1398 city rights were granted. In 1402 the city becomes part of the principality of Brandenburg-Kulmbach to the Hohenzollern, where it remains until 1806. During the membership to the Margraviate Bayreuth meet in 1686 the first Huguenot refugees from France in Erlangen. For it a new town is built by the Bayreuth Margrave Christian Ernst. In 1706 the old town is almost completely destroyed by fire, but soon rebuilt. In 1812 the old town and the new town are united in one city. The current city center, the former new town Erlangen is worth seeing as an ensemble. It has been built as a Baroque plan and ideal town and is today with its absolutely straight streets and place fronts and the uniform facades of almost entirely two-and three-storey houses to the most important and best preserved of its kind in Germany
The City Museum is located in the former Town Hall, which was built between 1736-40 as a baroque representational building.
The Bishopic of Würzburg, founded in 742, was an important power factor of the Holy Roman Empire in the High Middle Ages. Since 1822 it belongs to the ecclesiastical province of Bamberg.
The City Archives were founded on January 8, 1885 by Mayor George Schuh as a collection point for "ancient or historical objects". Since 1930 it houses the municipal local museum.
The former Markgräflich Castle, which is now used as a university building, was begun in 1700 after plans by Antonio della Porta and already completed in 1704. To the castle belong to the castle garden with the Huguenots Fountains as well as an orangery.
The listed building included today a floor space of approximately 11,000 m², spread over 5 floors -6 depending on the height of the building.
The Marquis Theatre is the oldest baroque theater in southern Germany.