Falmouth, Jamaica / Caribbean
Falmouth is the capital of the Jamaican county Trelawny. It is located about 30 km away from Montego Bay, on the north coast of the island and is home to approximately 8,200 residents. It is named after the same-named English port city, the birthplace of the then Governor Sir William Trelawny. Falmouth was founded in 1769 by Thomas Reid. Its systematic planning can still be seen today in the recognizable rectangular street pattern. Around 1800 the city was an important port of export for sugar molasses.
Beautiful beaches, palm trees and crystal clear-blue water invite you to sunbathe and swim. In addition, water sports of all kinds are offered. The historic town is one of the best preserved in the Caribbean. Lack of money caused the fact that the buildings from 1790-1840 could not be replaced by new ones. Some of these buildings have been restored and now serve as time witnesses for interested visitors. The Greenwood Great House is the most beautiful old museum in the Caribbean. It has preserved the atmosphere of the 19th century. The visitor here awaits the largest authentic collection of the Caribbean and also the most diverse and extraordinary collection of musical instruments throughout the island. Worth a visit is also the St Peter's Anglican Church, one of the largest Anglican churches in Jamaica. Its pillars and also parts of the floor are made of mahogany.