Hannover North / Germany
Nord is the 13th district in Hanover. It is divided into the districts of Nordstadt,, Hainholz, Vinnhorst and Brink Harbour with a total of around 30,000 residents. Of these, more than half of the population lives in the Nordstadt. Nordstadt has developed historically from the Stone Gate Garden community, an administrative unit once belonging to the department Lagenhagen corresponding which became in1793 the department Hannover 1793.
The wonders of Hannover-Nord are mainly located in Nord City District: The Garden House at the Jewish cemetery was built around 1820 and isthus the oldest residential building in the district. North of it, located on a mound is the Old Jewish Cemetery, one of the oldest Jewish burial grounds in northern Germany. The new Jewish Cemetery open in 1879 is ocated at the Strangriede. Interesting is also the Welfenschloss which has been used from 1879 as headquarters of the Technical University, the forerunner of today's university. Off the south facade of the castle is the Sachsenrosserected around 1876 by Albert Wolff which served as model for the Lower Saxony coat-of-arms introduced in 1946.