Melk / Austria
Melk, Lower Austrian district capital on the right bank of the Danube.
Melk was built on the site of the former Roman colony of Namare at the foot of a Babenberg castle, which became a Benedictine monastery in 1089. In 1227 the settlement got market rights, in 1898 it was promoted to city. The original monastery was heavily damaged by fire and was redesigned as a magnificent baroque building at the beginning of the 18th century. The Marble Hall, a prestigious festive hall as well as the library and the monastery church with important interior equipment are the remarkable details of the monastery complex.
The town itself also offers numerous architectural monuments, including the late-Gothic parish church of 1481, the former Lebzelter House (1657) with painted window shutters and the Stift tavern built in 1736.
Since the year 1451 the Kolomaniker Day, named after the patron saint of the town and the monastery of Melk, has been celebrated every year on October 13. In July and August, the Melk Summer Games take place in the Danube Arena.
In the Melk Abbey, international baroque days take place at Whitsun with numerous concerts.