Schweich / Germany
Schweich with its 6,600 inhabitants is a little town on the Moselle located in the Rheinland-Pfalz county of Trier-Saarburg. Already in the year 721 the city was first mentioned under the name Sarainga, when the Frankish noblewoman Bertrada and her son Charibert offered as gift a yard on the River Moselle to the monastery Prüm newly founded by them.
One of the attractions of Schweich is the Niederprümer Hof. In the years 1285 to 1296 an estate was built here offered as gift to the Benedictine Monastery Niederprüm. After its renovation in 1983, it was expanded into a cultural center and is home to several permanent exhibitions. Very interesting is also the Molitor Mill from 1824 decommissioned in 1972 on whose premises a museum is also housed today. Remarkable churches of the city are mainly the Church of St. Martin and the Chapel of St. George in the district of Issel.