Wiesbaden-Biebrich / Germany
With its more than 36,000 inhabitants, Biebrich is nowadays the most populous and, moreover, also the most famous district of the Hessian state capital. For the first time mentioned in 874 as "Villa Biburc" Biebrich was officially part of Wiesbaden in 1926. Until the year 1841 the place was the summer residence of the princes and dukes of Nassau.
The main attraction of the district is without doubt the baroque Biebrich Palace. Tt was built in the years 1700-1744 directly on the Rhine by the architect Maximilian von Welsch and Friedrich Joachim Stengel. It is surrounded today by a beautifully landscaped park laid out in the 19th century which is well known for its various wild parakeets. Every year here takes place the traditional Pentecostal horse show in dressage and show jumping. Near the Biebricher Castle lies the very interesting Orange Memorial Church, the second oldest of five Protestant churches of the district. Interesting also is a walk along the famous Biebricher Avenue which connects downtown with Biebrich Wiesbaden: countless magnificent villas and many other historically important buildings line this street.