Jamestown / Saint Helena
Jamestown with approximately 1,500 inhabitants is the capital of the island of St. Helena, an island in the South Atlantic, which belongs as a crown colony to the British overseas territories of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Jamestown is located in the Chapel Valley, in the northwest of the island. The city was founded in 1659 by the British East India Company. It was created as fort and named after the Duke of York, James II.Here today not only the governor of the British colony and Parliament established have their headquarters but in general all official, social and cultural institutions.
Strictly speaking, the city consits of a single road that stretches a mile long through the valley, surrounded by steep cliffs. One of the attractions of Jamestown is the "Jacob's Ladder" with its 699 steps. It was built in 1829 and was intended for the transportation of ammunition. The climb is worth it from the top you can enjoy a wonderful panorama! The "Longwood House", owned by the French government, which maintains it , was once the exile residence of Napoleon during the last 6 years of his life. The "Plantation House" (the residence of the governor) and the St. Paul's Cathedral are around 3 km south of the city.