Düsseldorf / Germany
Dusseldorf, the state capital of the federal state of North Rhine-Westphalia lies on the right bank of the Rhine. The mouth of the river Düssel gave the city the name. The Rhine promenade leads directly to the harbor. In early 1990, the port was renewed and like the old town released of through traffic. Modern architecture, pubs and chic restaurants have now moved to the port area.
The Hetjens Museum in the old port houses the German Ceramic Museum with 8,000-year-old ceramics.
The Gehry buildings, designed by the American star architect Frank Owen Gehry are an example of futuristic architecture.
The new town gate, which marks the southern entrance to the city centre, is also the seat of the Prime Minister.
In the heart of the old town lies the pedestrian precinct with the longest bar in the world. Bilk is the student quarter with small businesses such as antiquarian book shops and nice taverns.
Architecture lovers should have a look at the monument protected three-disc house and the piano-shaped white Düsseldorf Theatre.
The hunter's court served Napoleon as quarters in 1811. Today it is the residence of the Goethe Museum with exhibits from 'Werther' and 'Faust'.
The city hall built between 1570 and 1573, the Renaissance building got its most eye-catching characteristic in 1749 : the stair tower with the justice statue by Johann Joseph Couven.
The Carsch House erected in Neo-classical style was rebuilt 20 meters away from its original location. The art nouveau front had to be carried away piece by piece, in order to remount it to the new front. On the inside there is a textile store for the more elevated requirement. The Palace Tower is a remnant of the Düsseldorf palace of the 13th century. The tower is one of Düsseldorf's landmarks. Today it houses a Maritime Museum.
The Lambertus Church was built between 1288 - 1394. It is a Düsseldorf's town church and is noticeable to the visitor because of the inclined church tower. In the church is the Apollinaris shrine that contains the relics of the saint.
The Carl Square represents a piece of old Düsseldorf life.
The Bolker Street with the birthplace of Heinrich Heine.
The St.Andrew's Church where you can often listen to wonderful organ music during the day. It was built in 1629 and was the former court church of the Palatinate princes. The Academy of Arts was founded at the beginning of the 19th century. The most famous teacher was Joseph Beuys. The most renowned collection is located in the art collection of North Rhine-Westphalia K 20 in a modern building. It was opened in 1986 and contains important works of 20th century art (among others by Klee, Matisse, Picasso, Kandinsky, Chagall, Dali).
The Aquazoo (Löbbecke Museum) was re-opened in 1987 at the North Park. Numerous large aquariums including a shark basin, terrariums and a large tropical hall can be visited there. The Aquazoo is the most visited museum in Düsseldorf.
In Benrath, approximately 10 km south from the centre, lies the late Baroque Benrather castle in the middle of lakes and parks. Nicolas de Pigage was the building master of this pleasure castle of the Palatinate Prince Theodore of Pfalz.