Kalocsa / Hungary
Kalocsa lies 120 km south of Budapest on the eastern shore of the Danube. It is a town of about 17,000 residents.It has an eventful history behind it, was destroyed several times, last in WWII, but was always rebuilt.
The town of Kalocsa with a 1000-year-old history is famous for its churches, its Baroque town centre, its still flourishing folk art and its spiced paprika. The Kalocsa motives with enchanting colors live on thanks to the artists living and working here in the surroundings.The most beautiful embroideries and folk costumes are displayed in the 200-year-old country house of folk art. The history of Hungarian paprika production can be seen at the Hungarian Paprika Museum. In Kalocsa is the best paprika of Hungary.
The archbishop's Basilica has two towers and is an imposing structure built in the Italian Baroque style. On the organ inside the church -one of the largest organs in the country - Franz Liszt played often. The library of the Archbishop Palace is also the treasury with more than 150,000 books which represent an invaluable and priceless value today.